JoongAng Ilbo is reporting that South Korean government web sites have been attacked.
Attacks on five South Korean Web sites, including those of the presidential office Cheong Wa Dae and the foreign ministry, were detected Wednesday, but they posed no major threat, the state-run Korea Communications Commission said.
The attacks came just one year after a massive so-called distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack shut down 25 Internet sites internationally for hours, including 11 domestic ones.
The other three agencies under attack were the leading Internet search engine Naver, Nonghyup Bank and the Korea Exchange Bank, the commission said.
Analysis. So far these attacks are being dismissed as being at a very low level and not causing a problem. Strange though that these attacks come just almost exactly one year after serious attacks against South Korean computer systems and web sites that were notionally traced back to North Korea. Considering the effort that North Korea is putting into deflecting blame for the Cheonan incident, this may be a warning of bigger things to come if South Korea persists attempting to get Security Council condemnation of some kind for the North’s actions.
The People’s Republic of China is still preventing any Security Council action on this subject. They insist that the whole subject be dropped and North Korea’s actions be ignored. So far, South Korea has shown no intent to back off its request that the North be sanctioned by the Security Council in some form. The PRC has even raised a lot of objections to the proposed anti-submarine exercise between the South Koreans and the George Washington carrier group.
We dare not get tunnel vision and put all of our emphasis on Iran.